Thursday, July 14, 2011

Watermelon Fun

Thursday, July 14, 2011:

   Today I hosted my first playdate for the Littleton Playdate Exchange.  It was called Watermelon Fun with Lana and we all had a great time.  I have been unpacking all of my teaching materials and I wanted to put them to good use and share them with others.  Last month I was at the grocery store and saw all the Watermelons and I thought, what a fun theme for a playdate.  I pulled out all the stops.  I checked out a Watermelon book from the library, led a watermelon craft, made watermelon lemonade, served sliced and cut watermelon, and we all built our own mini watermelon pizzas.  These are just mini pizza's with black olives, but it's the look I was going for.

Fun watermelon craft.  I put this one on the front door so my guests would know they were in the right place.

Craft, mini watermelon pizzas, watermelon lemonade, and Lana's watermelon on the right.   




Lana playing with all the toys in the basement.

Friends playing in the Playhut.

All our new friends enjoying the back patio and the sand and water table.
 
Watermelon lemonade, yum!
Mini watermelon pizza, so good.

   The house was definitely full and busy.  5 mom's signed up to come and three had 2 children, 2 had 1, and of course there was me and Lana.  First I had everyone play in the living room until everyone had arrived.  Then we read our watermelon book and I told everyone about the craft they could make and the toys in the basement and the sand and water table outside.  I was surprised that everyone ran downstairs.  The sand and water table was a huge hit and the kids enjoyed playing in the basement and going outside as they pleased.  I only got 5 out of the 9 kids to paint a watermelon, but everyone was having fun.

   I felt bad that some kids hadn't eaten breakfast, and I wasn't planning on serving lunch till 11:30, so we had some crackers at 11 and then headed upstairs to make our mini pizzas.   I was surprised that all the kids loved black olives like Lana.  While kids were taking turns making their mini pizzas everyone else was eating watermelon, black olives, and enjoying some watermelon lemonade.  The pizzas didn't take long and they sure tasted great.  That was my lunch, so you know I ate 4....hey I'm eating for 2 here.  :)  All in all, we had a great time, and it showed me what to expect with a large group and what these kids are really interested in.  I am looking forward to hosting my playdate about Ducks in two weeks.  Maybe we'll have more craft goers, or everyone may just get their wings wet outdoors.  Can't wait to see.

   Sarah 

No comments:

Post a Comment