Thursday, February 17, 2011

Temporary Living Day 9

Monday, February 14, 2011:

    Happy Valentine's Day!   Lana and I started our day by going to the Highlands Ranch Library for story time and then we stayed for the puppet show.  We got to listen to some great Valentine's Day books.  My favorite was called My Heart is Like a Zoo by Michael Hall.  All of the animals in the book were made out of hearts.  I would have loved to use that book in my Kindergarten classroom!  I would have read the book, and then given my students large and small die cut hearts for them to create their own animal and sentence.  We would put all the students pages together to make a class book.
    Lana loves all the rhymes, songs, and movements, but she is having a hard time staying in my lap or seated during the stories.  Any suggestions?  I hope that the more we go, the more she will learn that she needs to stay seated while listening to a teacher reading a book.  She is so use to the book being right in front of her, so I'm sure this is a big change.  A half hour is also a long time to expect a toddler to sit still as well.
   The puppet show was right after, Lana was done sitting, so we moved to the side by the bookshelf, big mistake!  Lana kept herself busy by pulling books off the shelf, taking them to a bench, looking at 2-3 pages, and then going back for a new book.  I got her seated just long enough for her to say hi to the puppets as they came out, and bye to the puppets when they went behind the curtains.  Her favorite part was when the squirrel dropped Valentine hearts all over the dog. 

Lana loved petting the dog puppet.
Working with magnet pictures.














    After we left the library we headed up some stairs to a park.  The playground was too snowy to play on, but Lana had fun chasing the Canadian Geese.  She kept saying, "hi geese!" 












 
   Since Alex, Lana, and I went out for brunch yesterday I decided to cook Valentine's dinner at home.  I made spaghetti with meat sauce, green beans, and garlic bread.  This was actually a really difficult meal to prepare in our very small kitchen and on a stove with only one large burner, but I got it done.  We enjoyed a nice meal together with a glass of Merlot.  Lana ate her food very well and then had a bubble bath.  After we put Lana to bed I dipped strawberries and oatmeal cookies in chocolate.  Alex and I enjoyed some desert while watching Dinner for Schmucks, it was hilarious if you haven't seen it yet.  This was a great day and evening we spent together.

   Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment